April 13, 2011

A Proposition

Many things have I experienced in here in Djibouti. Many things indeed. Something that has not happened to me until today was an interaction with a full on pimp. I have been propositioned by prostitutes, night club workers, and men selling "massages," but not pimps, until now.

I was about 3 blocks from the university and 1 block from the Ministry of Health when a man approached me and started speaking to me. I had headphones on so I took them off and said "eh?" At that point he switched to English and asked me if I wanted a girl, a pretty girl and he pointed to a building directly across the street from the Ministry of Health. I politely thanked him and went on my way.

Number of Times I've been propositioned in America: 0
Number of Times I've been propositioned in Djibouti: more than I can count

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's sad. But, just to let you know, it does happen here too. I live in a neighborhood in Minnesota where a lot of activity happens. I've been approached many times from people who think I'm a prostitute and from people who think I want to buy drugs. Oh, and by the way, I had a girl in Djibouti, who was about 10, offer herself to me. My heart dropped.

    K

    ReplyDelete